Monday, April 8, 2013

Welcome to Helsinki

Eleven hours... LA to Frankfurt.
Three hours... Frankfurt airport.
Three hours... Frankfurt to Helsinki.

Wading though the groggy cloud of jet lag, I hear the pilot's German-accented announcement: "Ten minutes to arrival." I open one eye & peer through the rounded airplane window frosted with ice.

Green & white.

Green trees. White snow. As far as the eye can see. A small panic sets in. Did I bring enough clothes?

No matter, I remind myself. I could not have packed more. Checked bag already maxed out at 50 pounds.

The moment the plane hits the ground, icy pellets hit the plane. Our welcome to Helsinki.

The pilot's bland voice cuts through the landing rumble: "Have a pleasant evening in Helsinki. It's snowing like hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment