Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jyvaskyla Day 1

Big thank you to Sten and Pekka from Asikkala who were gracious enough to drive us everywhere and put up with us. Thank you to both of you (I'm sorry I don't have a picture to post as well).

We were greeted by the Jyvskyla Rotary club, and had a lunch meeting.

Our host families and a few other Rotarians were able to make it to the meeting.

Heidi introduced herself and handed out some Jyvaskyla University swag.

Jyvaskyla church on one side of the main square.

The city hall on another side. This is where we went after lunch.

Lovely appointed interior, they recently restored the city hall. And are finishing up the exterior.

A store here in Finland.

One of the oldest high schools in Finland. It is still in use.

This is the view from the clock tower, looking out at the slalom slope and a lake.

High up on a hill, looking out at the town.

I walked up the flights of stairs, others took the elevator.

We later went to the Natural History Museum which was on the first floor of the museum. It was full of taxidermied animals, none killed for their pelt.

My host father Heikki. 

His ice cutting paraphernalia. He has to cut the ice to ensure that the dock doesn't get damaged when the ice melts and drifts. 

He told me that it was safe, despite the fact that some parts have slushy snow and other areas were clear.
But the ice was about 6 inches thick still.

My second lake ice walking.

Perspective that I am truly on the ice. Behind me is Heikki and Tula's house.

My night in with Heikki and Tula consisted of mushroom soup and moose, with lingonberry jam. It was all delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment