Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Birthday Pre-Celebration

4/23/2013 Pre-Celebration
 
Because I was back in town for but 2 days, for what was truly my last night in Lahti, the father of my first host family Jukka Kalliokoski and I scheduled a belated dinner at 8pm so that I could meet his daughter Ella.  She had been in Germany during my stay with him, his wife Eriikka, and their son Emil.  Kiitos to Sten Christian Schauman of the Asikkala (all male) Rotary club where Jukka's father is a member for dropping me off at the Kalliokoski's to enjoy a "traditional" Finnish meal.  Kiitos also to my GSE teammates Dani, Teresa, and Weiping for enduring the minor detour.
 
After ringing the door bell, I was warmly greeted by Jukka, then Eriikka, and then Emil.  Although I had last seen the Kalliokoski's the morning of April 18, it seemed much longer than 5 days.  I can honestly say I missed them and was excited to see them again, though I hope not for the last time. 
 
As for dinner, the meal started with an appetizer of half of an avocado topped with pomegranate seeds, sour cream, and I believe raw reindeer, similar to the pictures below.

 
Meanwhile, Jukka grilled the reindeer steaks.
 
The cooked steaks topped with a red wine reduction sauce, mashed potatoes, Greek salad, and red wine to drink all melted in my mouth.  My compliments to the chef(s)!  Although Ella "missed" dinner, she was on time for dessert.  Ella is so bubbly and talkative.  
No surprise, but I absolutely adore her as I adore the rest of the family.  Later, Jukka shared Salmiakki, a popular (in Finland) pre-mixed liqueur consisting of Koskenkorva Viina vodka and ground up Turkish Pepper brand salty liquorice.  It's a pity I'm not really a fan of liquorice.  Anyway kiitos to my first host family for such a lovely evening.  I should have took pictures, but I was engulfed in the moment.  Luckily, I know I will not need to gaze upon a picture in order to remember that night given the loving feeling it left in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment